We can make it easy to achieve 501 (c)(3) nonprofit status. If you've been through it before, you know completing a 990 form is NOT a simple task. It's hard. It's time consuming. And it's a real struggle for small organizations.
You don't need to bear that burden. One of the greatest benefits offered by PCBL is an Affiliate Membership. Your group can become a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit without the workload by joining under our umbrella.
1. Properly filled out Articles of Association. This is the document by which the IRS verifies that you are entitled to fall under PCBL's Group 501(c)(3) Tax Exemption.
2. Copy of your governing document or bylaws which includes the IRS required wording.
3. Copy of the minutes of the meeting when your group officially voted to become an affiliate member of PCBL.
4. Copy of your most recent financial statement (quarterly, monthly, or annual). After acceptance as an Affiliate Member of PCBL, you will be required to submit to PCBL by no later than February 15 of the year following a year-end financial statement. Your revenues and expenses will be lumped together with all of the other Affiliate Friends groups, so that no single group’s finances will ever be shown. The year end report forms will be sent to all Affiliate members at the conclusion of the fiscal year.
5. Application for Organizational Membership in PCBL
6. Your Friends group check for $125 to cover Affiliate Membership for the calendar year
7. Copy of the EIN Notice from the IRS. The application for an EIN is available at the IRS site at this link.
The entire packet of documents should be mailed to:
Allison Lataglia, Executive Secretary
P.O. Box 551
Mountain Top, PA 18707
If there are questions regarding this procedure, please contact Allison at 1-800-870-3858.
IMPORTANT: Affiliate Membership in PCBL does not mean that PCBL will in any way govern or interfere in your local Friends activities. You will continue to operate as you always have, electing your own officers, deciding on your own events, and making your own financial decisions. Your only obligation to PCBL is to act in concert with PCBL's mission of advocacy for libraries and to submit the annual financial statement, along with your annual Affiliate dues of $125. Failure to abide by these requirements could result in disqualification
of your tax-exempt status.
ALL INFORMATION SHOULD BE SUBMITTED OVER THE SIGNATURE OF AN INDIVIDUAL HAVING AUTHORITY TO ACT ON BEHALF OF THE ORGANIZATION.
Please note that Membership Renewal packets and information regarding your 990 filings will be mailed out the last week of January.